An Appeal

SHAREFacebook

 

The Testament
The Constitutions
The Rule
The General Curia
The Statutes
Chapter of Mats '05
Acts and Decisions - 2013
Provincial Circulars (Archives)

 


Contact :

'Saccidananda'
Capuchin Provincialate
Dr. Rajkumar Road, P.B.No.1060, Rajajinagar, Bangalore-560 010
Karnataka, India.

Tel:
+91-080-23377790
+91-080-23470178

Fax:
+91-080-23474342

E-Mail
cappro@rediffmail.com
psecretary@rediffmail.com



St. Padre Pio


St. Clare of Assisi


Tau Cross


Damiano Cross

 

the houses of the province

 

Saccidananda, Capuchin Provincialate, Bangalore
Monte mariano churchEver since the Holy Trinity Province of Karnataka-Goa- Maharashtra was culled out from the erstwhile single province of India, the friars have been looking forward to the realization of a Provincial House. As the history has it, the Provincialate was shifted from place to place. It was first housed at Monte de Guirim Goa and then at Deena Seva Ashram, Bangalore. To render more effective and prompt service to brothers as well as to have an easy access, it has now found a permanent residence at Saccidananda, Rajajinagar, Bangalore. The Provincialate was inaugurated on December 29, 1995.


St.Fidelis Friary, Monte Mariano, Farangipet
Monte mariano churchA dilapidated chapel dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi and a tottering old building, which once belonged to the Portuguese Franciscans, was standing on the little hillock, called Monte Mariano, at Farangipet. The buildings with the adjoining compound were placed by the Bishop of Mangalore at the disposal of the Capuchins for the purpose of the novitiate house when they came to Farangipet in May 1930. The chapel was repaired and on its side was constructed the novitiate block. Until 1969, this was the only novitiate house of the Capuchins in India.Aseraphic school was also attached to it until 1949. The novitiate for the non-clerical friars was shifted to Muvattupuzha (Kerala) in 1963. The Junior Professorium was conducted at Monte Mariano from 1966-70 for the non-clerical friars. After the erection of the new Province, the novitiate was brought back to Farangipet in 1973 and has continued to be there to date. In June 1978, the Initiation Course located at St. Fidelis Ashram, Lucknow, Mahanagar, on an experimental basis since June 1973, was once again shifted to Monte Mariano.

The gradual increase in the number of vocations in the Province since 1987 and the need for providing accommodation for the candidates of St. Fidelis Vice-Province erected in the North in September 1981, made it necessary to take up the construction of a new block in 1982.

Presently, though the formation of the novices is the main ministry of the friars at Monte Mariano, they also render pastoral service to the parishes around. To mark the Golden Jubilee of the friary, St. Fidelis Commerce Institute with about 100 students was started in May 1982 in a rented building. The proposal for a new building to accommodate the increasing number of students of the commerce institute and the tailoring section was approved in August 1982. The building completed in 1987 now houses about 100 students.

St.Anne's Friary, Mangalore
St.anne'sThe place, originally known as "Lawn View" and measuring 45 cents, belonged to Mr. George Lobo, a retired jailor.He gifted the place and his house to the Capuchins in May 1936, in memory of his deceased wife, Mrs. Annie Lobo. Hence the friary is named after St. Anne. Earlier the house was used as a centre for Franciscan gatherings. A hall was erected for this purpose in 1937, which served also as a chapel and eventually became the Portiuncula, dedicated to Our Lady of Angels. In 1941 the house of Mr. George Lobo was declared a hospice attached to St. Fidelis Friary, Farangipet. Some friars started staying here for the purpose of doing social work and other pastoral ministry in the town. A shrine of St. Anthony was constructed at the corner of the triangle during the same year.

Since Mr. George Lobo was still living in one of the rooms of his old house and the friars needed privacy, a temporary residence was constructed behind the shrine of St.Anthony in 1943. In 1950, after the death of Mr. George Lobo, the temporary residence was demolished and the old house of Mr. Lobo was re-modeled and the chapel was enlarged. For the purpose of promoting vocations to the Order, the Assisi House was started in 1955 in a small rented building. The compound, measuring about 2 acres, adjoining the friary and known as 'Grasmere', which belonged to Mr. P.C. Lobo, the brother of Mr. George Lobo, was acquired in 1960 and the Assisi House was shifted to its present premises.

The old house constructed by Mr. George Lobo at Lawn View and which had housed the friars for more than 25 years, having become inconvenient for habitation, was demolished in 1977 and on the same site the new friary was constructed and completed in 1979. The students ofPUCwere accommodated in the Friary from 1979 to 1983.

In 1983 the PUC students were shifted to the Assisi House which itself was rebuilt in the year 1967 to accommodate the increasing number of boys studying in Assisi House. From 1987 Assisi House looked after only capuchin candidates who did their PUC studies. In August 1999, Postulancy ofKGMwas shifted toAssisi House.

The friary has many initiatives to its credit. In early 1950's, under the leadership of Fr. Cyril Andrade the S.F.O. apostolate began in Mangalore. Later, under the leadership of Fr. Vincent Lobo, the S.F.O. ministry thrived in Mangalore diocese. In 1943 the Konkani Natak Sabha started by Fr. GeorgeAlbuquerque Pai S.J. was transferred to the Capuchins of St. Anne's Friary. Fr. Cyril Andrade became its president. By 1951, under the leadership of Fr. Philip Neri, a good Hall, named Don Bosco, was built and to-date the Capuchins direct the sociocultural activities of the K.N.S. Some years later, Fr. Vincent Lobo started the Konkani family monthly magazine, "Sevak" which saw its first issue in September 1959. He also started Assisi Press in 1970 as a landmark in the media apostolate of the Province.

The friars are now engaged in varied forms of apostolate: preaching, spiritual assistance to the S.F.O., promoting vocations, apostolate of the press and the stage.

Holy Family Friary, Brahmavar
BrahmavarparishBrahmavar has a special prominence in the history of the diocese of Mangalore because of the schism, which took place in 1887. The priests in charge of the parish at Brahmavar had worked zealously for the reunion of movement and to render pastoral assistance to the diocesan clergy in the Northern part of the diocese. The Bishop of Mangalore however entrusted the pastoral care of the parish, along with the two substations Petre and Nilavar to the Capuchins on 15April 1956. They completed the plastering and flooring of the Church, which along the new belfry was blessed inApril 1961.

The fraternity at Brahmavar was canonically erected on 28 February 1960. The friary building was completed and blessed on 19 December 1966.Anew church was erected at Petre through the efforts of the friars and by 1968, Petre was separated from Brahmavar as an independent parish, now cared for by the diocesan clergy. The chapel at Nilavar was built in 1967. While taking good care of the Brahmavar parish, the friars also render sacramental ministry to the neighbouring parishes, give spiritual assistance to the SFO, preach retreats and recollections to various religious and lay groups and promote vocations to the Order.

Deena Seva Ashram, Bangalore
Deena seva ashramIn 1965 the friars went in search of a place for a friary in Bangalore at Kengeri. The present site at the Valagerehalli was bought in 1968. The construction of a friary was begun in 1971 and it was blessed and declared a canonically erected house in 1974.

In 1976 an additional block was constructed with self-contained rooms for the sick and aged friars. When the Orientation Course had to be shifted here from Monte Mariano in June 1980, the construction of an additional floor was taken up. In 1981 the common study houses of the four jurisdictions were wound up in favour of regionalization and inculturation. The Provincial Chapter accordingly decided to conduct the entire programme of formation of our candidates from Orientation to Theology in our own province. Deena SevaAshram thus became the major study house for students of Philosophy and Theology and Professorium Brothers from June 1981. The Orientation Course was shifted from Bangalore to Navelim.

As the number of the students of Philosophy steadily increased it was found necessary to shift the Theologate to Kripalaya, Mysore, in the year 1985. Deena Seva Ashram became the institute of philosophy and religion. Meanwhile the bishop requested that it be made a quasiparish so as to meet the pastoral requirements of the people around especially those who steadily came to settle down in the near-by satellite town. The Capuchins took diligent care of this parish until a new parish church was built in the Kengeri Satellite Town and the Archbishop appointed a diocesan priest as the pastor in July 2002.

At Deena Seva Ashram a new auditorium was blessed on August 31, 1997. A new Chapel, Library and Dining Hall was constructed to accommodate increasing number of students.

The provincial chapter of April 2007 took a historical decision to shift the present philosophate at Deena Seva Ashram to Kripalaya, Bogadi, Mysore and the theologate at Kripalaya to Deena Seva Ashram Bangalore, keeping in mind the concept of Campus Theology and also to promote the activities of Darshan Research Institute. The mutual transfer of houses took place on June 25, 2007. The theologate was re-christened as 'Darshan Institute of Theology".

St.Joseph's Friary, Lower Kasarkod, Honnavar
Lower kasarkodWhen North Kanara formed a part of the diocese of Belgaum, the parish of St. Joseph at Lower Kasarkod was permanently entrusted to the pastoral care of the Capuchins in 1975, on the understanding that they would also look after the pastoral needs of five other parishes at Samsi, Kodani, Molkod, Gundibala and Binaga.

Later in 1976 North Kanara became the new diocese of Karwar and the earlier agreement was slightly altered. The parishes of Samsi and Binaga were ceded to the diocese in 1981 and the friars continued to work just in four parishes of Gundibala, Kodani, Molkod and Lower Kasarkod. The latter became the centre for the entire area. In 1986, the parishes of Gundibala, Kodani and Molkod were also ceded to the diocese, retaining thus only St. Joseph's Church, Lower Kasarkod for the friars. The foundation for the new church at Lower Kasarkod was laid on 1 May 1977 and the new Church was completed on 30 April 1979.Anew house for the friars was constructed in 1990.

Ravi Ashram, Bankal
Ravi ashramEarly in 1962 two friars were working in Bhadravati in Chikmagalur diocese. They however withdrew from there in 1964. Ever since a proposal to start a new foundation in Chikmagalur diocese was under consideration.When the Bishop of the diocese offered to the Capuchins 2 acres of vacant land at Bankal for the purpose of erecting a church and a residence, the offer was gladly accepted on 7 July 1973. The parish church dedicated to infant Mary was completed and blessed in 1975. The parish has two sub-stations, one at Javali and other at Balur.Anew chapel at Balur was constructed in 1990.

The construction of the hostel for poor students, coming to Bankal from remote villages for high school studies, was undertaken in 1979, with the financial help given by the planters.

Dayal Bagh Ashram, Ujire
dayalbagh ashramDayal Bagh, begun as a farm in 1969, has grown into an Ashram today and is raised to the status of 'Domus Formata'. At first it was started on a plot of land measuring about 5 acres in view of the social uplift of the poor villages around. Later on more land was acquired and agricultural cum horticultural work was undertaken. The idea was to make Dayal Bagh a model farm. Accordingly, piggary, poultry and dairy were undertaken as additional activities. Several developmental projects are under way since the inception of the farm

A government-recognized agricultural school that began around 1980 is engaged in training young and enterprising farmers. A new residence for the friars and a nice-little chapel for worship were completed between 1979-85. The agricultural students also have their own quarters to stay at Dayal Baugh during their studies. At present the developmental activities in and around Ujire are efficiently carried on through 'Vimukti' Ujire begun in the year 1996. These activities also come under the umbrella of Capuchin Krishik Seva Kendra, a registered society. From 1996 June Dayal Bagh Ashram is also the house of Orientation andAspirancy along with the NIOS programme. From 2008 Dayalbagh will be housing only Aspirancy students who will do their PUC in the neighbouring colleges.

Kripalaya, Capuchin Theologate, Mysore
kripalayaIt was in 1978 that the Provincial Definitory decided to acquire a plot of land in Mysore to open a formation house for PUC students. The negotiations for this plot however did not succeed. In 1983 the friars managed to acquire another piece of agricultural plot just outside the city limits of Mysore, close to Manasa Gangotri University. It was named Kripalaya and initially just two friars lived in the farm house. When it became obvious that the Theologate from Deena SevaAshram, Bangalore had to be shifted, in keeping with the decision of the fifth Provincial Chapter of 1984, it was decided to plan a new Theologate at Kripalaya, Mysore. In 1987, the first phase of the new building was ready for occupation and in 1989 the construction of the entire Theologate was over. The Seminary chapel, beautifully built in Indian style was blessed in February 1992.

Besides the formation work, the friars are also engaged in active apostolate in the diocese. The Hinkal mission near-by was entrusted to the care of Kripalaya, which has been given back to the diocese in 1998. Apart from the regular chaplaincy to several convents, the friars also give recollections to different communities and preach retreats to religious.

According to the mandate of the provincial chapter 2007, the Theologate was transferred to Deena Seva Ashram, Kengeri on June 25, 2007 and the Institute of Philosophy and Religion was brought to Kripalaya on the same day.

St.Anthony's Church, Hosanagar
hosanagarAt the pressing appeal of Bishop Ignatius Pinto of Shimoga, the small parish at Hosanagar, with about 350 Catholics, was accepted on a temporary basis. The Provincial Chapter of March 1990 favoured the continued presence and ministry of the friars in the parish in the diocese of Shimoga. Accordingly a wholly new church and a friary were built so as to provide good service to the people and a convenient residence to the friars.

Shanthi Sadhana, Bangalore
fisiIt all began in 1987. The inspiration of the Franciscan Institute of Spirituality in India (FISI) was that of the General Minister and his Definitory. Holy Trinity Province of Karnataka-Goa-Maharashtra was to respond actively by taking a bold step of initiating and implanting the FISI Project under the supervision of CCMSI. In the realization of the same the province has the full backing of the General Definitory. 9 acres of land belonging to Deena Seva Ashram has been gifted by the Province for this purpose and the implementation of the project has quickly picked up. Many courses in Franciscan Spirituality and Charism had meanwhile been organized all over India under the aegis of FISI. Many more programmes are being chalked out, thanks to the collaboration of the friars from all the capuchin jurisdictions in India, including the Friars Minor and some women Franciscans.

The institute was solemnly inaugurated by Most Rev. Fr. Flavio Carraro, the General Minister and blessed by Most Rev.Dr. Alphonsus Mathias, the thenArchbishop of Bangalore, on 7 Dec. 1993. Since this institute has been entrusted to our province for its ordinary administration, a team of friars reside there since June 1993.

Clara Vihar, Potnal, Bellary
potnalThe diocese of Bellary, represented by Bishop Joseph D'Silva, formally invited the Capuchins of the Holy Trinity Province to open a house anywhere in the diocese, through his letter dated 5 May 1993. After a spot study of various places, through his letter dated 11 October 1993, Fr. Andrew Anil Sequeira, the then Provincial Minister, communicated the decision of the Provincial Definitory, expressing willingness to take up Potnal in the district of Raichur. In the month of May 1994, the Provincial Definitory assigned two friars as the first Capuchins to Potnal Mission. These arrived in Bellary on 5 June 1994 and proceeded to Potnal, to be accommodated in the Jawalgera farm ofthe diocese.

The diocese then entrusted to the Capuchins of Holy Trinity Province, the 10 stations of the Potnal Mission territory, viz., Mudengudi, Karabdinni, Jeenur Camp, Donmaldi, Jeenur, Tadakal, Dotharabandi, Udbal, Markamdinni, and Belavatta, which hitherto formed the parts of the Jawalgera parish, for the spiritual and pastoral care of the people of God. The diocese also placed at the disposal of the Capuchins the diocesan property situated at Potnal village measuring 9 acres and 15 guntas. The new Capuchin House, 'Clara Vihar' was inaugurated on 21 March 1996 by Fr. Remigius Sequeira, the provincial Minister and blessed by Rt. Rev. Dr. Joseph D'Silva, Bishop of Bellary.

The Provincial Chapter of May 1996 decided to house the Post- Novitiate formation of the brothers at Potnal.Anew structure suitable for this stage of formation was put up and the formation commenced from October, 1998. On the other hand special attention is being given by the friary to the developmental activities in the nearby villages of Potnal through 'Vimukti'.

Prem Nivas, St.Anthony's Institutions, Gangondanahalli
premnivasThe Capuchins of Deena SevaAshram had been rendering pastoral services in the substation of Gangondanahalli since 1975. The Archdiocese of Bangalore, represented by the Archbishop, Rt. Rev. Dr. Arokiasamy, formally requested the Capuchins to take care of the pastoral needs of this area, as one of the substations of Kengeri quasiparish, by his letter dated 3 November 1982. A Kannada medium school, dedicated to St. Anthony was opened soon thereafter in a small hut with cement sheet roof. The area has seen a rapid development even as the development of the parish and school.

A church and school building along with the residential quarters were constructed by the Capuchins on the land donated by Mr. M. Joseph and were inaugurated and blessed by Rt. Rev. Dr. Alphonsus Mathias, the then Archbishop of Bangalore, on 31 October 1993. Earlier it was erected into a full-fledged parish and entrusted to the Capuchins 'ad perpetuum' through an agreement dated 25 August 1993. The St. Antony English School started by the Friars is making good progress.

Christalaya, Chikkodi
chikkodi houseThe Holy Rosary Church, Tumarikop, in Belgaum diocese, was entrusted to us for pastoral care, due to some insoluble problems. It was however handed back to the diocese in July 1997 after resolving the problems to a very great extent. As Bishop Bernard Moras desired that the Capuchins continue their work in his diocese, another place, namely, Chikkodi was accepted by us to continue our serviceable presence in the diocese. At Chikkodi, our presence is purely missionary, as there are no Catholics around. Since November 1997 the friars been residing in a rented house and while doing social work through 'Vimukti', Chikkodi, they also cooperate with the diocese in various developmental projects. A new school has been just begun in view of meeting the educational needs of the place.A new house has been built for the residence of the Friars and to house the offices of Vimukti.

Bala Yesu Nivas, Chikmagalur
School at Bala YesuTo establish a praying and evangelizing fraternity at Chikmagalur, Bishop John Baptist Sequeira offered the Capuchins in 1977 a plot of land on the Chikmagalur-Bankal road. The Provincial Minister and his definitory, having accepted the offer, planned to construct a small friary. It was accomplished in the year 2000 and dedicated to Infant Jesus to commemorate theYesu Krista Jayanti 2000. The friary has the potentiality of growing into a pilgrimage centre in the diocese. Plans are afoot to begin an educational institution for a more effective Capuchin presence in Chikmagalur. For this purpose twelve acres of land has been purchased in Kadri Midri, five km away from Bala Yesu Nivas. A school building is being planned in the plot for Infant Jesus School.

Asha Kiran, Bhadravati
Inmates of Asha KiranNoticing the need of a rehabilitation centre for de-addiction of alcoholics and substance-abuse persons, a beginning was made at Kengeri in the year 1994. As the land that housed 'Asha Kiran' was notified by the Bangalore development authority, the healing ministry had to be shifted. It was decided to transfer the same to Bhadravati where the Capuchins had a small stretch of land.With the generous help of Swiss Capuchin Province and International Office of Solidarity a friary as well as the centre became a reality. It was inaugurated on November 14, 2001. It is envisaged that the fraternity while carrying on the ministry in the rehabilitation centre, shall also involve itself in pastoral work in the entire diocese of Shimoga.

Anugraha Gurumatha, Halbarga, Bidar
Arabian Vice ProvinceThe diocese of Mangalore under the leadership of Bishop Aloysius D' Souza invited the Capuchins in the year 2000 to actively involve themselves in the mission of Bidar district which the diocese itself had been looking after for almost two decades. On accepting the invitation we were offered the mission of Halbarga along the Bidar-Latur road. The process of establishing our presence was initiated by the purchase of a piece of land to establish our 'mission house'. The ground floor of the Friary was blessed on 30th May 2007. The Provincial Definitory has decided to construct the first floor and establish the formation stage of Postulancy in the Friary.

Assisi Vihar, Shirvad, Karwar, Diocese of Karwar
There was a long awaited plan to open a second house in the diocese of Karwar and efforts were on to find a suitable place convenient for the friars to render the pastoral assistance to the diocese and meet the spiritual needs of the religious of the diocese. The provincial minister Br. Jossy Fernandes negotiated with the Bishop of Karwar and established a second house in the Diocese on 28th January 2006 and the General Minister Br. John Corriveau by his decree dated 7th April 2006 erected the house canonically.

Holy Trinity Mission, Shiggaon, Diocese of Belgaum
To have a second house in the diocese of Belgaum was a dream and aspiration of many and few of the former provincials were constantly on the search for a suitable place in Hubli city area. The present bishop of the diocese of Belgaum, Rt. Rev. Dr. Peter Machado has offered the mission of Shiggaon on a temporary basis.

Mission of Madhya Pradesh

Shanthi Nilaya, Itarsi
Itarsi ChurchOn his assuming the charge of the archdiocese of Bhopal, Archbishop Eugene D'Souza invited the Capuchins to work in the newly carved out diocese.After due negotiations the Maltese Capuchin Province took charge of the Bhopal Mission in 1966, and the district of Hoshangabad was entrusted to their care. The Church of Sacred Heart of Jesus, Itarsi, was made the residence of the Superior Regular. The Provincial Chapter of 1987 voted in favour of accepting the State of Madhya Pradesh as the mission of the Holy Trinity Province. Since then some more friars have been working in the mission.

In 1997, when Br. Vincent Gabriel Furtado was the Provincial Minister the new Friary was completed. In 1998 the new church was blessed and inaugurated by Archbishop Pascal Topno S.J.

Vianney Sadan, Bhopal
In 1987 after having decided to accept Madhya Pradesh as its mission territory, the Province sent three friars at the invitation of the Archbishop Eugene D'Souza. They made Seva Sadan at Tulsi Nagar as their residence. However as the Archbishop required Seva Sadan to conduct his own minor seminary, our friars had to move out and find a new shelter in a rented house at Nehru Nagar.

A portion of Seva Sadan parish was entrusted to them for pastoral care.With a view to building a friary, a parish church and a school, 10 acres of land was purchased at Barkhedi Khurd at a distance of 4 km. from Nehru Nagar. The distance made the immediate realization of the plan impossible and hence another plot of land was purchased at Nehru Nagar itself and a prayer hall cum residence was constructed, named after St. John Mary Vianney. It is now raised to the status of a parish.

The 3rd Provincial Chapter of 2004 decided to ask for the collaboration of the Vice Province of Maharashtra in Madhya Pradesh, so that it can gradually become the mission of Maharashtra province.

The North East Missions

The Provincial Chapter of May 1996 recommended that the mission activity be extended to the North East regions. As per the recommendation of CCMSI, the General Minister assigned to Holy Trinity Province, the states of Nagaland, Mizoram, Manipur, Tripura and a part of Assam for missionary activity and implantation of the Order. (Prot. No. 00570/97 dated June 27, 1997).

St.Francis Assisi Church, Lazami, Kohima, Nagaland
Lazami ChurchAt the repeated call of Rt. Rev. Abraham Alangimattathil, S.D.B., of the Diocese of Kohima, to work in Nagaland, Fr. Remigius Sequeira, the then Provincial Minister, made a survey of Kohima diocese and preferred to take up the Sema area for mission work. The Capuchin presence was established at Lazami in the diocese of Kohima, when Br. Vincent Gabriel Furtado was the Provincial Minister and Bishop Abraham Alangimattathil introduced our friars to the Catholic community on 10 July 1996. The Lazami community, which was a substation of Tsemenu parish, was given an independent status. It is now a parish under the patronage of St. Francis of Assisi, with three substations, an higher primary school and a hostel for boys.

St.Peter's Church, Atoizo, Nagaland
AtoizuhouseOn July 27, 1997 the new Bishop Jose Mukala introduced the Capuchins to a new parish, namely St. Peter's Church, Atoizu. It has three substations, viz. Akluto, Zunheboto and Aghunato, and two higher primary schools. The Bishop has agreed to hand over to us the Akuluto Mission on a permanent basis. We have purchased a piece of land on June 12, 20007. A friary and a school is being planned there. Presently the mission is looked after by the friars from Atoizo.

Mizoram
Bishop Denzil D'souza formally invited the Capuchins of the Holy Trinity Province to establish their presence for missionary, pastoral and spiritual ministry through his letter dated February 8 , 1996. Br. Vincent Gabriel Furtado, the Provincial Minister, after a spot study of various places wholeheartedly agreed to take up three stations, Viz., Mamit, Ramhlun and Sairang in his letter dated 9 December 1996. The Bishop, through his letter dated 14 January 1997 offered Mamit and Ramhlun for the purpose of pastoral, missionary, educational and welfare activities. In 2006 Bishop Stephen Rotluanga offered Sairang and Durtlang stations and asked us to return Ramhlun Parish to the Diocese.

St.Francis of Assisi Church, Mamit
The Diocese also handed over to the friars for their use the Diocesan property at Mamit as per the land lease pass. Our presence has been established since Nov. 1997. Since then, we have established a primary school. A beautiful Church has been constructed which was blessed on January 21, 2007. The Brothers are doing very effective pastoral ministry in the mission.

Assisi Church,Gachirampura, Tripura
Assisi Church, GachiramparaAt the pressing invitation of the bishop ofAgartala to establish a presence of service in his diocese, Br. Vincent Furtado, the Provincial Minister visited the diocese and chose the Kanchanpura-Dasda area for the purpose. In 1999 one friar was sent to study the language and culture of the people and he established himself at Gachirampura near Dasda in June 2000. We have been since then involved in mission work, especially with the tribal people. The Bishop of Agartala offered us the entire area of Kanchanpur for missionary and pastoral involvement and an agreement to this effect was signed in 2006. A plot of land has been bought and the Friary and a school was being planned in Kanchanpur.

28.St. Joseph's Church, Choithar, Archdiocese of Imphal
Manipur is the part of North East mission entrusted to us capuchins of Holy Trinity Province of Karnataka. Lack of personnel prevented us in venturing into action in this State. The efforts were on to open a house in the vicinity of Imphal and the then Archbishop of Imphal Most Rev. Joseph Mittathany was constantly knocking at our door. Through the intervention of Br. Jossy Fernandes the new Archbishop Most Rev. Dominic Lumon offered us Choithar mission which was a substation of Sacred Heart Parish, Hundung. The mission has three villages with 900 Catholics.

Our Friars reached the place on 1st July 2007 under the leadership of Br. Joel Rosario and the scholastic Br. John Bosco. This mission station was declared as a full fledged parish on 14th October 2007 by His Grace Most Rev. Dominic Lumon, in the presence of Rev. Fr. Vincent Gabriel Furtado the provincial minister and Br. Augustine Claude D'Souza who was installed as the first parish priest of this mission station.

Mission of Sri Lanka

The Sri Lankan mission began with the idea of the international solidarity of the Order gathering its momentum. At the request of the then general minister Br. John Corriveau, who made a personal plea to the provincial minister and his Definitory to assist the Vice Province of Pakistan in the formation of the novices in Sri Lanka, the provincial minister, Br. Vincent Gabriel Furtado, met the Archbishop of Colombo to see to the implementation of the proposal. The Archbishop in his letter dated February 8, 2001 gave the written permission to establish a religious house of the Order in his Archdiocese. An agreement between the Archdiocese of Colombo and the Holy Trinity province of Karnataka was signed on May 27, 2001. It envisaged the implantation of the Order and the opening of a novitiate house to form brothers hailing from Pakistan. Initially the TOR brothers in Sri Lanka agreed to put at the disposal of the Capuchins their house in Katuwapitiya for this purpose. This house, named as Padre Pio Ashram was canonically established as the novitiate house by the general minister on June 28, 2001 at the request of the then provincial minister Br. Andrew Anil Sequeira. Br. Liguory Noronha was the first Novice master who began the Novitiate with 7 novices from Pakistan.

Padre Pio Niwasa, Pallansena, Archdiocese of Colombo
As the friars were living in the rented house offered by the TOR brothers at Katuwapitiya, the need was felt to have a house of our own. A plot of land with an existing house was purchased at Pallansena and the Novitiate was shifted from Katuwapitiya to the new plot. When the new Friary was inaugurated in Mawila, the Novitiate was shifted there on a permanent basis. The Pallansena is being used from September 2007 as a centre of formation for Postulants.

St. Pio Friary, Capuchin Novitiate, Mawila, Diocese of Chilaw
The need for a permanent Novitiate house was felt very much and hence the friars purchasde a piece of land in Mawila, Nathandiya, three kilometers from the Colombo Chilaw highway. Through the assistance of Belgium Province a beautiful Novitiate House was constructed and inaugurated on September 8, 2007. The house was canonically erected by the Provincial Minister Br. Vincent G. Furtado through the decree dated 2 August 2007. General Minister Br. Mauro Johri erected the Novitiate House through his decree dated 11 September 2007.

Assisi Nivasa, Ampitiya, Kandy, Diocese of Kandy
As it was agreed upon that the Pakistani Brother would stay for three years of formation in Sri Lanka, it was decided that they do their philosophical studies in Kandy Seminary. Having stayed in a rented house belonging to the Claretians for one year, the friars succeeded in acquiring another house in a more convenient place closer to the national seminary. This house today serves as a residence for students who visit Kandy seminary for studies.

St. Antony's Friary, Dalupotha, Archdiocese of Colombo
Dalupota friary
The house and a small piece of land was offered temporarily by the Archbishop of Colombo to the Capuchins as it was lying vacant. Presently the candidates are residing in the house.


 

Mission of Japan

The early days of Catholic mission activity in Japan go back to the time of St. Francis Xavier (1549). Due to various upheavals, the Catholic faith did not sink very deep in the Japanese soil. In 1930 the Canadian Franciscans came to Okinawa, the island in the southern part of Japan, but were not allowed to proselytize. In 1935 the Japanese military government forced all foreigners to leave Okinawa in preparation for World War II. In 1947, Rome assigned the post-war protectorates ofAmami Oshima and Okinawa Island chain, then called Ryukyu Islands, to the Capuchin province of St. Joseph which covered Detroit & New York. At the request of the Holy See, two American Capuchins, Brs. Felix Ley and Alban Raymond Bartoldus arrived in Amami Oshima, north of Okinawa, on September 5, 1947. When Amami Oshima was repatriated to Japan around 1949 the Capuchins concentrated their missionary efforts in the Okinawa Island chain.

When the Capuchins arrived in Amami Oshima afterWorldWar II they were met by an ex-seminarian, who later became the first Bishop of the Naha diocese of Okinawa. In 1949 Br. Felix Ley was appointed administrator with the title of Monsignor. He became the titular bishop in 1968 until the day he died in January 1972.

In 1951 the Capuchin General invited other missionaries to take over ministry in Amami Oshima. The first American Conventuals arrived in 1952 and by 1955 they had taken over the full responsibility for these islands north of the Ryukyu Islands. Since 1955 the Capuchin responsibility was limited to the southern Ryukyus, the area of the present diocese of Naha. In January 1972, when the Ryukyu Islands were repatriated to Japan and became the new Japanese Province of Okinawa, Rome also established it as a new Japanese Diocese of Naha. Br. Peter Baptist Ishigami, the first Japanese Capuchin was appointed the first bishop of the new diocese of Naha, Okinawa.

After the split of the Province of St. Joseph to form the new Province of St. Mary for NewYork/New England, the territory became the Mission of this new Province, though some from the mother province of St. Joseph continued to serve in their missionary work in the islands of Okinawa.

At the custody chapter of 1997, it was decided that the future of the Capuchin presence in Japan required them to renew their efforts to expand outside of Okinawa. The Provincial of St. Mary's province and the General Minister appealed to Holy Trinity Province for personnel and the custody of Japan welcomed the willingness on the part of the HolyTrinity province to collaborate in this effort. The Provincial Minister Br. Vincent G. Furtado visited Japan in December 1997 and studied the situation in preparation to send the friars.

In January 1999, Brs. Claver and Alex from the Holy Trinity Province joined the Capuchins on Okinawa as pioneers of the new Japan Custody Cooperative. Two years later, on September 25, 2001, a 2nd batch of friars, Brs. Edwin and Denis, arrived on Okinawa. In May 2000, Brs. Claver, Alex and Wayne, an American friar, moved out of Okinawa to begin ministry in the Saitama diocese, then called Urawa diocese, and to establish the first Capuchin fraternity in the mainland, in fulfillment of the decisions of 1997 chapter. There are six friars from the Province working in Japan. Based on the spirit of collaboration, as agreed upon, the Holy Trinity Province will maintain a presence of 10 friars in the custody of Japan by 2012.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

Peace Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

SHAREFacebook

Email This page

Minister General

Fr. Roberto Genuin
Minister Provincial

Fr.
Joseph Dolphy Pais
Provincial Council

Fr. Alwyn Dias
Vicar Provincial

Fr. Peter Cyprian D'souza
2nd Councilor

Fr. Paul Melwyn D'souza
3rd Councilor

Fr. Salvadore Fernandes
4th Councilor


This website owned by The Holy Trinity Province, Karnataka, India

YOU ARE VISITOR NO :

Powered by : Business Online, Bangalore